There's still snow on the mountains, but Park City and Salt Lake City are already revving up for summer and outdoor concerts galore. Case in point: the line-up for this summer's St. Regis Big Stars, Bright Nights Concert Series and the Red Butte Garden Outdoor Concert Series were both just announced. If you time your summer right, chances are you could be listening to live music almost every night of the week!
St. Regis Big Stars, Bright Nights
As audiences have come to expect, this concert series will once again feature a veritable smorgasbord of musical styles presented by artists running the gamut from Smash Mouth to Melissa Etheridge in genres spanning country to choral music and rock 'n' roll. "Our summer shows always have a mix of emerging and legendary performers," says Teri Orr, executive director of Big Stars, Bright Nights programmer, the Park City Institute. "And this year, we featuring ten shows with artists who are known for creating powerful connections with the audience. It's going to be an exciting summer."
Half the magic of the concert series is, of course, imparted by the fantastic location. Deer Valley's Snow Park Outdoor Amphitheater will once again be the stage, welcoming returners and newcomers alike. You couldn't ask for a more spectacular venue with the Snow Park Outdoor Amphitheater (and that's not just our bias showing). Picnic dinners, blankets, and lawn chairs will, as always, be a welcome part of the whole affair.
The 2017 St. Regis Big Stars, Bright Nights schedule is as follows:
- July 3: X Ambassadors
- July 16: Kellie Picker
- July 23: Aloe Blacc
- July 27: Melissa Etheridge
- Aug. 6: San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus
- Aug. 15: Punch Brothers, I'm With Her, and Julian Lake
- Aug. 18: Smash Mouth, Cracker, and The Romantics
- Aug. 26: Five for Fighting
- Sept. 3: Josh Turner
Tickets for the 2017 St. Regis Big Stars, Bright Nights concert series are available for purchase to the general public starting April 12 by calling 435.655.3114, visiting the box office, or logging on to Eccles Center website.
Red Butte Garden Outdoor Concert Series
On the other side of the Wasatch Mountains, Red Butte Garden's much-anticipated outdoor concert series spans a whopping thirty performances for the 2017 summer season. Warmer weather in the valley means this series goes on for much longer, kicking off May 23 with Jethro Tull by Ian Anderson and concluding on September 14 with Gov't Mule. A few of the other big names scheduled to perform as part of this year series include Sheryl Crow, ZZ Top, and Santana.
We said earlier that Deer Valley's Snow Park Amphitheater is venue can't be beat; but the Red Butte Garden Amphitheater comes darn close. Enjoy your music in the midst of the Red Butte Garden's blooming flower collection at the base of the majestic Red Butte Canyon with your own picnic and libations or a snack from Cuisine Unlimited, this year's official Outdoor Concert Series vendor.
The full 2017 Red Butte Concert schedule is as follows:
- May 23: Jethro Tull by Ian Anderson
- June 2: Trey Anastasio Band
- June 4: TajoMo: The Taj Mahal & Keb Mo’ Band
- June 18: Dispatch
- June 20: Jason Mraz & His Superband
- June 28: Santana
- July 6: Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band
- July 13: Amos Lee
- July 14: North Mississippi Allstars & Anders Osborne Present: N.M.O./Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real
- July 20: Mary Chapin Carpenter
- July 21: Lyle Lovett & His Large Band
- July 23: Retro Futura
- July 25: Portugal. The Man
- Aug. 1: Wheels of Soul 2017 Summit Tour
- Aug. 2: John Williams’ Film Music feat. The Utah Symphony
- Aug. 4: Drive-By Truckers
- Aug. 10: Alan Isakov/Blind Pilot
- Aug. 13: The Head and The Heart
- Aug. 15: The Decemberists
- Aug. 16: Chick Corea Elektric Band with Béla Fleck and the Flecktones
- Aug. 17: Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue/St. Paul & The Broken Bones
- Aug. 20: Herbie Hancock
- Aug. 21: Lake Street Dive
- Aug. 31: ZZ Top
- Sept. 6: John Butler Trio
- Sept. 8: Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
- Sept. 12: Haim
- Sept. 13: Sheryl Crow
- Sept. 14: Gov’t Mule
Tickets for the Red Butte Concert Series go on sale to Garden-Plus members April 24 at 7 p.m. on their website, in-person sales at the Red Butte Garden Visitor Center are available for members starting April 25 at 9 a.m., and online/in-person for the general public starting May 1.
Get ready for warm summer nights and the hills to awaken with the sound of music!